Job Title: Green Business Specialist -- MassDEP
Company: Center for EcoTechnology
Location: Boston, MA
For more than 35 years, Center for EcoTechnology (CET) has helped people and businesses in Massachusetts save energy and reduce waste. If you have a passion for the environment and are looking for an opportunity to use your concise, well-crafted sales approach in the service of this mission, then CET is the place for you.
CET works with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) on the RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts program. This full-time Green Business Specialist position will work closely with the Branch Chief of Waste Planning and Commercial Waste Reduction in the MassDEP office in Boston and report to the Green Business Support Manager within the Green Business Services department at CET.
Organics Diversion Focus:
- Assist with program analysis, reporting, and measurement for composting and recycling facilities
- Provide outreach, education and technical assistance in the areas of food waste diversion
- Assist MassDEP staff to engage state-owned facilities for food waste diversion
- Develop RecyclingWorks web content, case studies and diversion guidelines for target sectors
- Potential follow up on needs assessment for food waste diversion from food manufacturers and processors
RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts Outreach::
- Coordinate with Green Business Services Department and MassDEP on waste ban outreach and compliance assistance
- Coordinate stakeholder discussions on the increased diversion of carpet, asphalt shingles, and other construction materials
- Analyze data from facilities handling construction and demolition materials and other recyclables
- Speak to business association groups like Chambers, Green Community groups and others to promote RecyclingWorks and engage businesses
General Business Assistance:
- Serve as the first point of contact for businesses in key market sectors. Engage decision makers for technical assistance services to be provided by other Green Business Specialists as appropriate.
- Communicate a working understanding of separation and collection mechanisms for commercial generators of various recyclable materials.
- Respond to businesses, institutions and colleges and universities in the immediate Boston area interested in reducing waste through Recycling Works.
- Respond to resource management questions via phone and email about environmentally preferable purchasing, disposal, composting and recycling.
We are looking for someone with a strong commitment to the non-profit community mission of CET and the goals of MassDEP recycling, composting, and waste reduction programs. To be successful in this job, you must have experience speaking to business owners, facility managers, and all levels of staff across a diverse range of business types. You should be adept at helping implement incremental change. Knowledge and experience researching commercial information online, in print, and by phone is preferred.
In 2013, CET helped 26,000 people save $33 million and reduce the impact on the environment equal to taking 29,000 cars off the road and 12,000 homes off the grid for a year! We provide practical solutions that save energy, materials and money and have a positive impact on our environment and community. In the past 6 months, we have added more than 30 people to our dedicated team and are still looking for more.
This is a full-time salaried exempt position with benefits and is located at the MassDEP offices in Boston. To qualify, you must have a college degree and commercial, technical, and waste management experience. Must be well-organized, be able to work independently and track and report results. You will need a professional appearance and communication style to be effective in the business sector. You should be flexible, reliable, self-directed, an excellent listener and have a proficient work ethic with leadership skills.
Send cover letter and resume via email to: email@example.com. You may include military service assignments and any verified work performed on a volunteer basis. CET is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Expiration: 03/31/15