What You Need to be a HERS Rater

Many who pursue a HERS Certification do so to start a home performance company of their own. HERS Training will prepare you with the skills you need to become a successful HERS Rater. The only part that remains is business development = energy auditing equipment and commercial insurance.

Energy Auditing Equipment

If you're going to start a home performance business, you're going to need equipment of your own. Energy auditing equipment may include, but is not limited to, a manometer, blower door, duct blaster, carbon monoxide analyzer, combustible gas detector, and infrared thermography camera.

There are a number of product manufacturers with these items. Some of the most popular names include The Energy Conservatory, Retrotec, and TruTech Tools. The equipment may vary slightly in look depending on the manufacturer, but generally speaking, you will see equipment like this...



Energy Auditing Equipment - Manometer

Blower Door

Energy Auditing Equipment - Blower Door

Duct Blaster

Energy Auditing Equipment - Duct Blaster


CO Analyzer

Energy Auditing Equipment - CO Analyzer

Combustible Gas Detector

Energy Auditing Equipment - Combustible Gas Leak Detector

Infrared Camera

Energy Auditing Equipment - Infrared Thermography Camera


Getting Commercial Insurance

To maintain a home performance company, you will need insurance and equipment. Insuring yourself is important because it protects you and your business from risk. You'll want the following types of commercial insurance protection:

General Liability - designed to protect the insured from liability claims brought by third parties who allege the insured is responsible for bodily injury or property damage caused to them.

Professional Liability - helps safeguard the assets of your company and provides defense against claims that may or may not be valid. Professional liability protects against lawsuits arising out of the rendering of or failure to render professional services.

Property Insurance - protects against loss caused by damage to real property (homes/buildings) and/or personal property (contents) owned by the business.

RESNET has partnered with Lockton Affinity to develop a custom package for home energy raters and home inspectors. The RESNET Insurance Program provides exclusive rates to HERS Raters and may include all three types of insurance.

Become a HERS Rater Now

Continue Reading - Page 5 of 5: Programs Requiring RESNET

Go back to the New to RESNET? Start Here main page.